Saturday 4 June 2011

It makes me feel ill...



OK, so I'm probably feeling a bit queasy because I'm up far too late, but seriously - WHAT is it with the pottery in this picture? Maybe this is not a photo of a Mass, perhaps the priest is in the parish hall (that would explain the flowers in the wicker basket) just about to have a cup of coffee and what he's actually saying is "I really enjoyed my pottery workshop - look at the lovely fruit bowl I made last week". 



Seriously though, if this is a photograph of a Mass, what on earth are they using those things to hold the sacred species? It's not just against the rules, it's simply wrong. This isn't just me being picky, the Catholic Encyclopedia says:

According to the existing law of the Church the chalice, or at least the cup of it, must be made either of gold or of silver, and in the latter case the bowl must be gilt on the inside. In circumstances of great poverty or in time of persecution a calix stanneus(pewter) may be permitted, but the bowl of this also, like the upper surface of the paten, must be gilt. 

So that's clear then - the sacred vessels must be made of materials befitting their use:  precious materials. Pottery, earthenware, plastic, even fine bone china is not permitted. So what's going on in this picture then?

Ah - I forgot to mention that the photo comes from the website of the main Cathedral in Orleans. I was looking up Mass times as we're going to be there tomorrow. Argh!

No comments:

Post a Comment